|Looking down to the Estuary|
The last member of the Colclough family, Lucey Marie Biddulph Colclough left the house in 1959 a few years before the government took over its care.
Renovations began in 1982 and uncovered many of the features of the original abbey.
|Woodland Walk at Tintern|
|On the road to Saltmills|
Not to far away from Tintern lies Hook Head. The Hook has what is thought to be one of the oldest operational lighthouses in Europe.
It dates back to the 13th century and maybe further. The tower stands four storeys high with walls up to 4 metres thick. The tower was constructed of local limestone and the original building survives almost intact. Standing 36 metres high, the tower consists of two tiers linked by as mural (within the wall) stairway of 115 steps. The first tier is 13m in diameter at the base and has three storeys, each consisting of a rib-vaulted chamber with original thirteenth century fireplace. In the thickness of the wall there are a number of small
mural chambers, including two garderobes (toilets).
The upper tier is 6m in diameter: originally it supported the fire beacon, which in later times was replaced by a lantern. It continues to serve its original function to this day. It too was constructed by William Marshal, the same Earl of Pembroke that was responsible for the building of Tintern Abbey.
The peninsula itself is composed of fossil-bearing carboniferous limestone.
|Fossils can be seen in the rock.|
|Tintern and the Hook lighthouse make a very enjoyable day out.|